Would you like to make a difference in someone’s life? Do you want to gain experience supporting people with their goals and needs?
As a Volunteer Telephone Befriender you will offer companionship through conversation. You will be matched with a befriendee and offer them emotional support, encourage them to achieve their goals, and help them feel confident and connected to their community.
WHO WILL I SUPPORT?
Together Talks connects different support services across Bradford, enabling us to reach befriendees from a range of backgrounds and support needs. We are proud to offer volunteers different befriending opportunities, including:
• General chit-chats with people who are lonely and socially isolated
• Planned telephone support to help domestic abuse survivors reach their goals
• Planned telephone support with adults in receipt of social support services
• Planned telephone support with families, parents, or guardians
Before you begin, we will check your references and you will have a short telephone interview with the Together Talks Support Team to learn more about the service and decide which befriending option is best for you.
• A listening ear
• Strong, resilient, and empowering
• Keeping motivation high
• Good communication and conversational skills
• Link befriendees to other community interests and signpost to other services
Flexible and remote role. Volunteers required to use their personal phone to make befriending calls.
- Age restrictions
- DBS check required
We will complete this with you and cover the cost of the Enhanced DBS check
- Equal Opportunities Policy
Equality and Diversity training module
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
Together Talks Support Team are available Monday - Friday 9:30am - 4:30pm for guidance, support and feedback.
- Training provided
Video training modules (approx. 1 hour)
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer Policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
- Application Form
- Informal Discussion
When can I volunteer?
The Volunteer Telephone Befriender role is designed to be very flexible and can fit around other work, leisure, or study commitments. We ask for a minimum of 3 months commitment. You can be matched with 1 befriendee, or up to 5 befriendees depending on how much time you would like to commit. Phone calls to befriendees are weekly, and are usually between 10 mins - up to an hour per call.
This opportunity can be carried out whilst working from home.